International Students
Studying in Canada


Canadian academic institutions welcome students from around the world, who bring cultural enrichment to the educational scene in Canada. More than 215,000 foreign students were enrolled in Canadian institutions in 2000, not including students taking English or French as second language courses. Foreign students must meet certain immigration requirements to obtain an authorization to study in Canada.
They must: present an acceptance letter from the educational institution they wish to attend; provide evidence of enough money to pay for tuition and living costs; satisfy a visa officer that they will return home at the end of their studies; pass a medical examination if required; meet other requirements for visitors, including a visa if necessary.

Zee InfoTech is also an authorised representative of reputed colleges / Universities and Schools to enroll the students for Canadian Institutions.

Zee InfoTech has special arragement for Home Stay Program for international students.

Fill out the International Student Assessment Form or contact Zee InfoTech by email in order to find out how Zee InfoTech can assist you. (See our exclusive Student Visa website)

Online Assessment Form for International Students: ..........

A Guide for Foreign Students

  1. Coming to Canada
  2. Primary and secondary school
  3. Post-secondary school
  4. Private institutions
  5. Tuition
  6. Language
  7. Health insurance
  8. Qualifying
  9. Studying in the province of Quebec
  1. Planning
  2. Financial support
  3. Health standards
  4. Student authorization
  5. Arrival in Canada
  6. Passports and visas
  7. Canada Customs and Revenue Agency
  8. Working in Canada

Coming to Canada
Your decision to study in Canada is an important one. You will need as much information as possible and at least six months to plan and prepare for your move.

Primary and secondary school
If you or your dependants want to upgrade your education before applying to a post-secondary school, make sure the courses you take will allow you to register at the post-secondary school you choose. Canada's educational standards are set individually by each province. If you want to go to a primary or secondary school, you can get information on provincial standards by writing to the Department of Education in the provincial capital. If you have any questions, you may also write to one of the organizations listed in this pamphlet.

Post-secondary school
Each Canadian university, university college, technical school or community college sets its own requirements. The registrars of these schools can provide information on tuition fees, health insurance, scholarships, lodging and living expenses, and language requirements.

Private institutions
Before you enrol in a private institution, please check to ensure that the institution meets Canadian requirements or the rules of the province where the institution is located.

Every post-secondary student in Canada has to pay tuition fees. The fees vary from school to school and from year to year. The registrar will help you determine the fees required.

Canada has two official languages: English and French. You will need to know one or the other to follow course lectures and reading assignments. Some post-secondary schools might ask you to take a language test. They may charge a fee for this test which you will have to pay yourself. Language requirements are set by each school. School registrars can give you information on language requirements.

Health insurance
Medical, hospital and dental care in Canada can be expensive. As a foreign student, you are not insured for these expenses by the Canadian federal government. The school you attend may provide health insurance for foreign students, but be sure to ask when you are writing for information. If the insurance provided by the school does not meet your needs, you should make your own arrangements before leaving home. Certain provinces (British Columbia, Alberta and Saskatchewan) cover foreign students under their health-care plans or offer group insurance to educational institutions.

Once you have decided on the courses you want to take, officials at the school where you apply will tell you if you qualify. If you are accepted, you will receive a letter of acceptance from the registrar, the school board or the school itself. To be acceptable to CIC officials, the letter should be completed by the educational institution, be the original, not a photocopy, and include the institution's letterhead, full mailing address, telephone and fax numbers and, if available, e-mail and Web site addresses. Some information may not be applicable or may not be known at the time of the application. If the information is not applicable, N/A should be indicated. If the information is not known, N/K should be indicated.

Studying in the province of Quebec
If you wish to attend a school in the province of Quebec, you will have to apply for a Certificat d'acceptation du Québec (Quebec certificate of acceptance, or CAQ). Please note that for students destined for an educational institution in the province of Quebec, obtaining a CAQ is a necessary prerequisite for the issuance of a student authorization.

Before you apply for your student authorization or visitor visa, you must have a valid passport, a letter of acceptance from a Canadian school, proof that you have enough money to support yourself and your dependants for your entire stay in Canada, a letter from your sponsoring organization if you are being sponsored, and a medical clearance, if required.

Financial support
You must be able to prove you can support yourself and your dependants before a student authorization can be issued. A letter from your bank, a bank draft or a letter from your source of funding will show CIC officials that you can afford to pay your expenses and, if necessary, the expenses of your spouse and dependants, while you are in Canada. These expenses include post-secondary tuition, food, clothing, shelter, books, transportation, medical insurance, entertainment, personal or family needs and return trips home. The winters in Canada can be cold, so include warm clothing when calculating your living costs. The cost of living in Canada varies from province to province. CIC officials in your country will tell you approximately what it will cost to live in the province where you will be attending school. Character reference To be accepted by CIC officials, you must prove you are a responsible person and that you have no criminal record. You may be asked to provide evidence of this through your local authorities.

Health standards
You must be in good health. You may be asked for a medical certificate if you have been living in a country with a high health risk. Canadian officials will tell you what you need when you make your application.

Student authorization
Once you have all the letters and documents required, you may apply for your student authorization. Normally, you will have to apply at the nearest CIC office abroad. Citizens or permanent residents of the United States, Saint-Pierre-et-Miquelon and Greenland may apply for authorizations at any Canadian port of entry. Wherever you apply, the requirements are the same. The student authorization allows you to study in Canada. Keep it with your passport. Your student authorization may specify terms and conditions that govern your stay in Canada. For example, the duration of your studies, the name of the institution or the level of studies you are allowed to undertake. Please read these carefully. If you do not understand its contents, talk to CIC officials. Unless there are special circumstances, your student authorization for post-secondary study should be valid for the duration of your course of studies.

Arrival in Canada
Once you have all your papers and have arrived in Canada, you must show CIC officials the following documents: your student authorization (form IMM 1208), a valid passport, a valid visitor visa if required, and any letters or papers used to obtain your student authorization. If any documents are missing or incorrect, you could be refused admission to Canada.

Passports and visas
Citizens and permanent residents of the United States, Saint-Pierre-et-Miquelon and Greenland do not need a passport or a visitor visa to enter Canada. If you are coming from anywhere else, you will need a passport and possibly a visa as well. Please [click here] for the list of countries whose nationals need a visa to come to Canada. The Canadian visitor visa is affixed to a page of your passport. It shows the date by which you must arrive in Canada, and whether it is valid for one or more entries to Canada. When you arrive in Canada, you must show your passport and, if applicable, your visa to CIC officials. The passport will be stamped with the date on which you must leave Canada. Please ensure that the period allowed covers your whole stay. If you require an extension of your student authorization, contact contact us to obtain an application kit. Do not stay beyond the date stamped on your passport. If there is something you don't understand, you should get clarifications from an immigration officer or your consultant. If you want to renew your passport while you are in Canada, contact your embassy or consulate at least two months before your passport expires. You may wish to keep a photocopy of your passport, visitor visa, most recent immigration stamp and student authorization for your own records. Make sure that your passport will allow you to return home or travel to another country if you wish.

Canada Customs and Revenue Agency
As a foreign student studying in Canada, you are eligible for certain customs benefits, including the temporary importation into Canada of your household and personal effects. However, a number of conditions apply. We provide our clients with a comprehensive information package in this regards.

Working in Canada
Foreign students may be allowed to work while attending school. But jobs may be difficult to find in Canada, so you should not count on getting one. You may be allowed to work if you meet one of the following requirements: you want to work as a graduate assistant; your employment is part of a course of study, such as a work term during the year, as in cooperative programs; you want to work on campus; or you want to work after graduation in a study-related job for up to one year. Your spouse may also be allowed to apply for an employment authorization. If you work without an employment authorization, you may be in violation of the Immigration Act, and you may be required to leave Canada.

Depending on your country of origin and the type of student visa and length of study, you may require: a student visa, a student authorization both a student authorization and student visa or, none of the above The type of student visa required depends on your country of originto get student visa, the program you are taking, and the length of your study in canada for student visa.: Student Visa. All other programs require a student authorization for student visa.Come study in Canada! Study in Canada and get student visa.Learn how a Canadian education can make a difference. Find out student authorization and how to get a student visa. Find the canadian student visa. Study in Canada and get Canadian Education. Study in Canada and Student Visa by Zee InfoTech. Student Visa for Canada is our speciality.
Applying for a student visa to study in Canada In Canada, Student Authorization (student visa) is not required for English language courses that last less than six months. If your program will be longer than 6 months, you should apply for a Student Authorization at the closest Canadian Embassy for student visa or Consulate before coming for study in Canada. You cannot obtain a Student Authorization for student visa after arriving in Canada. You must obtain student visa before you come to Canada.
study in Canada, study in Canada,study in Canada,study in Canada, canadian education, canadian education, canadian education, canadian education , canadian education ,canadian education ,canadian education ,canadian education, canadian education ,canadian education ,canadian education ,canadian education ,canadian education ,canadian education ,canadian education ,canadian education ,canadian education ,canadian education


Tel.: 604-944-7912 Fax: 604-944-7913
immigrating | refugees | citizenship | studying | work permits | visitor's visa | resumes | about canada
assessment forms | tutorials | contact us | other services | faq's | info for agents | site map | home


For questions or comments:

Copyright © 2010 Zee InfoTech Inc.